Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I like to live in America!

Friday night Larry & I went downtown to see West Side Story. I've loved this movie almost forever. It reminds me so much of growing up in NY being 1/2 puerto rican and 1/2 italian and seeing how the two sides played against each other in our Brooklyn neighborhood. So when I saw that the play was going to be in Pittsburgh, I begged Larry for tickets for Mother's Day.

The play was good, not phenomenal. It was a local acting troupe, not a travelling broadway show as I was expecting, but it was good. Some of the actors were really good. The actor who played Tony was great. Some of the skits were really well done. However, the puerto rican accents weren't great. The actress who played Maria sounded more Russian than Puerto Rican, so that was disappointing. I guess coming from NY and knowing the accent, I couldn't buy into the actress. She was no Natalie Wood.

No comments: